Crafts - Home Decor - Cooking - Faith - Baking - Everyday Stuff - Animals - Cleaning - Home Improvement

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Polka-Dot Message Board

Like most summers,  I stopped at LOTS of yard sales. On my way to a camping trip in, I stopped at a farm sale. This lady had her whole barn open for sale with stuff piled high and deep.  Amongst my small pile, I had picked out an old cabinet door. I didn't have any real plans for it until today. I thought I was going to have a rather lazy Sunday afternoon recovering from a long and cold day of duck hunting, but the idea for this message board popped into my unsuspecting head! 

To make it, I used a piece of cardboard, fleece, fabric, ribbon and lots of staples!I cut the cardboard to fit into the center impression. I stapled a piece of fleece to the cardboard for a little padding, then laid down a piece of fabric and wrapped it around the edges. I pulled the fabric tight and secure with a staple.
I wasn't sure how to best fit the ribbon, so I just used 4 pieces and made two big "X" shapes starting from each corner. I stapled the ends of the ribbon to the back of the board. In the center of each X, I placed a dab of hot glue between the ribbon and the board, and then between the ribbon and the cute little Moose and Bear buttons. That's it!

I probably wouldn't have chose a polka-dot print if I was to go out and buy fabric for the project, but since I just used stuff I already had, I thought it turned out pretty cute. Simple, at least :)

3 comments:

  1. It's super cute and shabby chic! Great idea. You know I love that polka-dotted fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a great way to get my Christmas stuff organized! You are my revelation Alli! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello....is anyone out there? Can you hear me? Hope you're not dead...

    Just joshin' everyone. I know she's not dead so it's okay to give her grief on her non-posting blog. Sheesh. Stop screaming at me!

    ReplyDelete